Costs of Representation

I find that working on a retainer is the fairest way to bill on tax representation as tax debt is analogous to lifting a rock off the ground-you never know what types of critters will be hiding underneath.  And unlike my competitors I do not over bill and only charge $175 an hour as compared to $250+ as most firms and tax attorneys charge.

The work to handle most individual income tax debt cases averages $2000, payroll tax debt for businesses average $4000.  I do allow the fees to be split up.  To keep fees low it is important to provide me with requested information in a timely fashion (i.e. not missing IRS deadlines or providing me with the information the day of our deadline).  

My Tax Preparation Fees are as follows:

*Same price regardless of filing status (i.e. single, joint, head of household, married filing
seperately, widow) *Add $100 for State Return and $150 for all prior years (prior to current year).

Base Amount and W2s Only $125
For wage earners, no schedules. Also used as the base amount for each return that does include
any schedules.

Schedule A $75
Itemizes allowable deductions against income; instead of filling out Schedule A, taxpayers may
choose to take a standard deduction of between $5,150 and $14,300, depending on age, filing
status, and whether the taxpayer and/or spouse is blind.

Schedule B $75 per page
Enumerates interest and/or dividend income, and is required if either interest or dividends
received during the tax year exceed $1,500 from all sources or if the filer had certain foreign

Schedule C $250 per business
Lists income and expenses related to self-employment, and is used by sole proprietors.

Form 8829 $75
Expenses for Business Use of Your Home

Schedule D $75 per page
Is used to describe capital gains and losses incurred during the tax year, and to calculate the tax
amount due given the special reduced tax rates applied to capital gains and qualified (domestic)

Schedule E $75

Is used to report income and expenses arising from the rental of real property, royalties, or from
pass-through entities (like trusts, estates, partnerships, or S corporations).

Schedule EIC $50
Is used to document a taxpayer's eligibility for the Earned Income Credit.

Schedule F $125
Is used to report income and expenses related to farming.

Schedule H $50

Is used to report taxes owed due to the employment of household help.

Schedule J $125
Is used when averaging farm income over a period of three years.

Schedule L $50
Is used to figure an increased standard deduction in certain cases.

Schedule M $50 (2009 and 2010)
Is used to claim the up to $400 "Making Work Pay" tax credit (6.2% earned income credit, up to

Schedule R $75
Is used to calculate the Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.

Schedule SE $50
Is used to calculate the self-employment tax owed on income from self-employment (such as on a
Schedule C or Schedule F, or in a partnership).

Nicholas Hartney, E.A.