Skip to main content

How to Get Your Money Back From Tax Resolution Companies

Because of the high level of competition in the tax debt help/resolution industry some companies remain concerned with their BBB report.  I know one large tax firm in Colorado who will give you a refund if you:

1) Threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

2) If you threaten the person who signed your power of attorney individually by reporting them to their states BAR (if an attorney) and/or the Office of Professional Responsibility.

3) File a complaint with your State's Attorney Generals Office.

Most of the companies out there already have such a poor BBB record that they do not care about further complaints in which case it is best to go directly to the person assigned to your case (assuming they are even licensed) with your threat and refund demand.  Send them a thirty day demand of refund letter specify your issues you had with their services and/or marketing lies (i.e. the sales guy told you it would be a flat fee and a few months later they are asking you for several more thousand dollars).

The State Attorney Generals Office should be used as a last resort.  Attorney General Offices across the country have already shut down or sued various tax resolution companies such as JK Harris, Tax Masters, American Tax Relief and Roni Deutch among others.

I can help you draft a formal letter if you need assistance.  Last month I helped my clients obtain refunds of $11,500 from money they were duped out of by slick talking high pressure con artists.

Please contact me and I will help you not only solve your tax situation but also get your money back from these bottom feeders.  

Popular posts from this blog

Keys to a Successful Offer in Compromise | Nicholas Hartney, EA | Genesis Tax Consultants, LLC ©

Keys to Unlock a Successful Offer in Compromise ©by Nicholas Hartney, EA © of Genesis Tax Consultants, LLC©*Updated Article 2018 Here
Contact me: Nicholas Hartney Licensed to Represent Taxpayers Before the IRS 
The Offer in Compromise is an agreement between a taxpayer and the IRS that settles the taxpayer’s liability for some amount which is less than the full amount due. The IRS has the authority to settle or compromise federal tax liabilities by accepting less than full payment under certain circumstances.

The taxpayer makes an Offer in Compromise on Form 656. If the IRS accepts the Offer in Compromise, then a contract is formed in which the IRS agrees to cancel the tax debt in return for the payment of the agreed sum. The IRS has a whole set of rules, policies and procedures which govern when it will accept an offer.

Unfortunately, you just don’t offer to pay them 10, 25, or 50 cents on the dollar. They look at your offer, compare it to their guidelines and then either accept it, rej…

2010 IRS Nationwide Tax Forum San Diego Review

The 2010 IRS Nationwide Tax Forum was nicely set up and had some great presentation speakers.

Some of the highlights discussed from the forum:
There were almost one million federal tax liens filed in 2009.The National Taxpayer Advocate's Office discovered that federal tax liens drop your credit score 100 points as soon as they are filed.  The investigation also found that the three major reporting credit agencies, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion, do not remove tax liens for years, if at all, even after the tax has been paid.  The Fair Credit Reporting Act allows the agencies to keep the lien on your credit report for up to 7 years after payment in full.  Regardless of this Act for some reason the investigation found that Equifax keeps liens on your report for up to 15 years, Experian keeps the liens on your report for 10 years, and TransUnion indefinently!  Federal Tax Lien filings went up 475% over the past 10 years.Bankruptcy on back taxes are dischargable in a bankruptcy 3 year…

Preparing IRS Form 1045 Tentative Carryback Application or Carryback Claim Net Operation Loss (NOL)

Preparing Form 1045 to apply a tentative carry-back loss is ridiculously complicated for most people.  Even seasoned tax prepares have difficulties preparing this form. 

If after you filed an amendment to your tax return (Form 1040X) and the IRS sends you a notice requesting that you now file Form 1045 you should consider calling someone for help!  I filed one of these forms back in June for a client of mine and just received notice that it was approved, lowering the taxpayer's liability down from $8492 to $2900.

You may want to contact me on this.

If you wanted to try to tackle the 1045 yourself here are the instructions:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service 2010
Instructions for Form 1045
Application for Tentative Refund
Section references are to the Internal Definitions connection with gambling, the racing
Revenue Code unless otherwise noted. of animals, or the on-site viewing of
Eligible loss. For an individual, an such racing, and the portion of any